Port Authority S.A.
The Center of Mediterranean Cruise Experience
Piraeus Port, the largest passenger port in Europe, with more than 20mil. Passengers throughput every year, is sited in a unique geographical position for reaching multiple tourist attractions in east Mediterranean. The Port of Piraeus, at the south east end of continental European Union is located at the same area with the ancient Athenian port which, at its peak in 5th century BC was the most important trade centre of the then known world. In fact, when a cruise passenger disembarks can see the ancient protective walls of that period. The cruise terminals of the port are in a comfortable walking distance from the city of Piraeus and the metro station. The market centre of Athens and the famous Parthenon is easily accessible within 30 minutes by metro.
- Port infrastructure suitable to serve every ship size and draft.
- Operations 24hrs throughout the year with tide free access.
- Favorable weather conditions throughout the year.
- Multiple daily Ferry connections with almost all Aegean islands.
- Quality services provided to more than 820 cruise ships and 2mil passengers each year.
- Total quay length of 2800m.
- 11 vessel berths.
- 4-5 berths for new generation cruise ships.
- Draft up to 11m – Tide free
- 2 air-conditioned Passenger Terminals of 20000sqm with 11 X-ray machines
- Free shuttle bus service around the cruise port.
- More than 200 slots of coaches.
- Helipad available for VIP.
- ISPS compliant.
- Quality Management Certification – ISO 9001:2008 (in progress)
The climate in Greece is typical of the Mediterranean climate: mild and rainy winters, relatively warm and dry summers and generally, extended periods of sunshine throughout most of the year.
Average air temperature (°C) and humidity (%) in Athens
Piraeus an environmentally friendly port
- Environmental Management System certified according to the Port Environmental Review System (PERS).
- Certified as “ECOPORT” port in the framework of ESPO guidelines.
- Implementation of environmental quality monitoring programs.
- Reception facilities for all categories of ship wastes.
- Faster turnaround and environmental benefits through permanent reception network.
Invensting in the Cruise Sector
- Expansion of the southern port with 6 new cruise berths more than 400m each for new generation ships.
- A new berth under construction for new generation ships with 230m length.
- Terminal B recently expanded.
- The construction of a Monorail shuttle around the port is already approved and planned.
- A public tender is open for the construction of a 5* hotel adjacent to the main passenger terminal.